Moderators' Criteria for SS-L
Volunteer moderators work to keep SS-L focused on
information about Sjogren's Syndrome,
so that SS-L can be a useful resource for busy people.
On the moderated SS-L, messages sent to the list address actually go to the
list's volunteer moderators. At least once per day (and usually more
often), the moderators review the submitted messages. Messages that meet the
Moderators' Criteria will be forwarded to the hundreds of people who subscribe
to SS-L. Messages that don't meet the criteria do not get forwarded to SS-L
Moderating a list requires many subtle judgments, but the basic
criteria on SS-L are that a message is a candidate for distribution if it:
- Contains and/or seeks information related to Sjogren's Syndrome.
- Is of general interest -- not better sent as a private message.
- Has a Subject line that describes the message content.
- Respects the daily maximum of 3 messages per person.
- Quotes only enough (if any) of a previous message to establish context.
- Does not "flame" or personally attack others.
- Has no "attached documents".
- Does not duplicate a recent prior post (not "me too", "ditto", or simply redundant).
- Contains no commercial advertising, religious proselytizing, or mentions
of multi-level marketed products.
- Discloses any financial interest in a product the sender recommends.
Messages that are cross-posted to other lists too will be held very strictly to the Moderators' Criteria.
Some specific examples of posts that will not be approved, along with suggestions for what to do in that situation:
- "Thank you all for everything that you do." [Suggestion: send private mail to thank individuals].
- "Is Drug X only by prescription, or is it over the counter?" [Suggestion: Ask SS-L
about side effects, since we know them from experience, but for availability and price information, Ask Your Pharmacist!].
- "Jane, will you elaborate on Topic X of your last message?" [Suggestion: write privately to Jane, asking her to elaborate on-list on Topic X.]
- "Please disregard my previous post (see below), which I meant to send privately". [Suggestion: be careful about what you post where. And don't
double your embarrassment by drawing attention to it in an apology.]
- "Goodbye, all" or "Hi, I'm back". [Suggestion: send private mail to individuals,
or for camaraderie join TalkSjo.]
- "Do you think Dr. X would have time to see me?" [Suggestion: ask Dr. X's office]
Note that the moderators do not judge the accuracy or completeness of messages.
Discussion on SS-L does not replace competent medical or legal advice.
You should not rely upon any opinion advanced on SS-L without obtaining
If you would like to contact the moderators of SS-L, write to
The moderators are interested in feedback, but cannot
guarantee to find time to reply.